The Emerson Row Dollhouse Day 9

The only thing left to do it was put in the partitions and shingle.

First the partitions. This dollhouse has two partitions. One goes in the second floor and the other on the third floor. I didn’t like the layout of the partitions because the third floor partition removes a good portion of one of the rooms. I decided to change the partitions layout and position the third floor partition right over the second floor partition instead.

The partitions of this dollhouse were made to be movable and there really is no official place to put them. The problem is that the second floor partition for some unknown reason is much shorter than the third floor partition. No matter what I did, it just wouldn’t reach all the way to the ceiling so it can be wedged between the two floors. I decided to not use it.

The third floor partition fit fine but I put it where I intended to from the beginning, over what would have been the second floor partition. That way I get two full rooms on the third floor and the partition adds a little privacy to what’s going to be the bathroom. As far as the second floor, I like the open lay out.

I had to use clear packing tape to clamp the two floors together against the partition because I ran out of masking tape. That’s what’s making the funny wavy pattern you see over the partition on the photos.

Now the shingling. Since this is an older kit, it came with very thin cedar shakes rather than birch veneer shingles. I love their color and texture, though they can be fragile and a little more difficult to cut.

This dollhouse does not bring roof trim so I made my roof panels meet tightly at the top so there would be no gaps. I didn’t want to use dowels or any other type of trim on the roof ridge of this dollhouse.

I also used the kit box to make the base for the dollhouse. I glued grass to it.

The dollhouse is not completely finished yet. I still need to touch up and varnish the floors, seal the shingles with varnish, finish the lawn base edge, add ceiling and baseboard trim and touch up paint here and there.

I’ve also left the window seat stained for now but I don’t plan on leaving them that way. When I buy curtains for this dollhouse, I will be buying fabric to upholster the window seating. I also need to trim out the back wall and floors edges of the dollhouse.