The Tennyson Dollhouse Day 3

Now that all of the glue is dry, you need to prime all of the walls before you can wallpaper. Take this time to stain the floors if that’s the finish you plan on using on them. Do not stain after your wallpaper is up because you can accidentally ruin them with stain drips or splatters. If you're going to use floor covering, leave it for after your wallpaper is up. Also, paint or cover your ceilings during this step as well. I decided to stain all of the floors, except the living room.

I always use a mixture of acrylic paint and acrylic gloss varnish to create my stain. You can make any color stain using this method. This stain is odor free, goes on nicely and stains over glue. I plan on using fabric for the living room floor to simulate carpeting. I have a very nice fabric piece that I just haven’t been able to use on another dollhouse but I think it will look really nice with the wallpaper color pallet of this dollhouse.

Please be careful to not prime your floors by accident. Only prime them if you're going to use a floor cover over them. Your priming does not have to be perfect. One coat is enough and the blotching will not be seen once the wallpaper is over it.

I usually just paint my ceilings the same color I use for priming. The only difference is that I give the ceilings two coats of paint. Once the primer is dry, you can begin wallpapering.

Always turn your wallpaper over corner joints. This gives the dollhouse more strength.

The best way to apply any fabric to a floor or wall is make a paper template of the area you want to cover first. This room was easy because it's completely square and it's almost the size of an 8x11 paper sheet. I then used the paper template as a guide to cut out my fabric piece.

I applied tacky glue all over the floor, sparingly, and then used a foam brush to smear it into all of the corners and edges. I then applied my fabric piece over it.

I don’t have to worry about the fabric fraying because I'm going to use baseboards all around the wall joints. The only area I have to worry about is the back floor edge. I used a little tacky glue all along this edge to keep it from fraying in the future. You can also use the anti-fray fabric glue they sell at the fabric store but tacky glue works well. It dries clear and seems to do the job.

I have enough fabric leftover to make a staircase runner.