The Storybook Cottage Dollhouse Day 9

I put the front roof finial on. I’m unable to do the side finials until the back shingles are done. I glued on the roof trim.

I filled up the flower box. I bought a bag of silk mini flowers. They come in assorted colors so I just separated all of the pink ones that would match the dollhouse better. I filled the bottom of the window box with cotton balls and then began putting the flower stems around them. Once I had enough flowers around the edges and in between the cotton balls, I began filling the middles. The cotton holds the flowers in place but allows them to be removable in the future for re-decorating.

I began putting in the floors today. These floors had already been primed but I gave them another coat of white because any other color will show through these then tile sheets. This dollhouse is small enough so that I won't have to join any pieces of this flooring together. That’s a big plus because these tile sheets do not join neatly so patching them together is something that should only be done as a last resort.

Making the template of the floor takes a lot of tweaking. I had to re-position the paper quite a few times before being able to get all of the nooks and crannies right. After the template was perfect, I cut it out on the tile sheet. You would think that the transfer would be perfect, but it isn’t. I still had to tweak the tile sheet itself to make it fit around the nooks and crannies. In the end, I had a perfect piece of tile sheet that fit snugly over the floor. The tile makes the dollhouse look so much better. I did the same process on the attic floor, which was much easier to do. I used tacky glue to glue the tile sheet to the floors. The material that this tile sheet is made up will not curl or lift so you don’t have to put any weights on the floor to keep it flat while gluing. Do not use hot glue on these sheets. They are very thin and will melt with the heat.

Now to shingle the back roof. I made a template once again. After that was done, I hot glued the shingles to it, measuring out the lines with a ruler and then stained it. I waited for it to dry before gluing it to the dollhouse and then added the side finials.