The Rosedale Dollhouse Revisited Day 9

I continued working on the front wall, taking a break from interior work to focus on the exterior for a while.

The hardest part of this dollhouse is the front wall. That's where all of the components are and finishing it with siding can be a little challenging.

The first thing I did was paint and install all of the front wall exterior trim.

I went ahead and installed the front door interior trim as well since I needed it to be done so I could continue applying the baseboards to the living room.

I went ahead and painted the front door. It's white on the interior and light brown on the exterior. You have finish all of these parts before you laminate them together to make the door. The acetate window is sandwiched between them.

I then drew the lines for the siding. You could have done this before the trim was installed, it really doesn't matter.

I then began siding. When siding this front wall, you have to make sure that your siding lines match all the way through. They have to match with the right side wall and on either sides of the windows and door. This is very important.

In the dollhouse box photo, the bays are not sided but only painted to match. You have to sand them well, cover any slots with spackle and paint them.

I used masking tape as a guide to match the foundation from the front wall all the way around the living room bay as in the box photo.

Once the dollhouse is sided and painted, you can add the rest of your components like window sills, bay roof trims, front door stoop roof and the fascias.

I also sanded down and installed the front door. Make sure that you have already installed the pane and interior trim for the oval window on the staircase wall before installing the door. If you don't, it will be very difficult to do this afterwards.

I added round finials to the staircase post caps just for some extra architectural detail. You also want to add trim on the side of this staircase to separate the railing from your wallpaper.

I added the right corner trim to the front wall. I simply made my own L shaped trim using basswood strip of the same thickness as the plywood for the dollhouse, which is 1/8"th thick. Let the front edge overlap the side edge for a cleaner look when viewing the dollhouse from the front.

You need a fine tipped brush so you can touch up everything and get into tight places.