The Rosedale Dollhouse Day 6

I installed both bays today. These are simple box shaped bays. They aren’t angled, complicated nor do they have many parts. The roofs are already part of the second floor of the dollhouse. They will be wallpapered later. You will have plenty of access to both bays from the interior of the dollhouse.

After the bays were dry, I went ahead and primed everything because I’m ready to wallpaper all of these rooms. I wrapped my wallpaper around the bays. I always prefer to wallpaper bays this way, whenever possible.

On the walls where the previously applied wallpaper meets this one, I left a 1/8”th overhang on the edge so I can fold it into the visible seam. You never want to patch wallpaper with the edge facing you but unfortunately there was no other way to hide the joints of these walls.

I prepared the third floor by painting the ceiling side and staining the floor side.

This floor has an attic door. I decided to faux hinge it with chamois. I cut the chamois strip and glued one edge to the door and the other to the floor. Make sure you don’t get glue on the door joint. Now when it's dry, I can simply lift the door up like if it was on hinges. Make sure you place the chamois strip on the far edge, by the front wall of the dollhouse.

I used a dark brown strip because once the floor is in place with the walls around it, it will not be very visible and will blend pretty well with the surrounding dark wood floor. You're able to see this on the last picture when I positioned the camera at the same angle as it would be when you're looking into the dollhouse. The chamois strip almost disappears, blending well with the surrounding floor.

I installed the third floor. Very simple to do. Make sure you have your mallet handy so you can tap in all of the tabs into the floors slots. Notice there are several different slots on the floor. One of them is for the walls and the other is for the roof panels. Make sure you insert the right tabs into the right slots. Just position the floor so the back edge is flush with the back edges of the walls. The slots that match up with the tabs, in this position, are the right ones. Clamp everything.

Once it's semi-dry, you can unclamp it and turn the dollhouse upside down. Go over all of the third floor joints with wood glue. Wood glue becomes almost a plastic when dry so it's very durable and very hard. It's also permanent so it's always a good idea to go over all joints with it. Just make sure you never go over the joints of finished walls or you will ruin your wallpaper.

I positioned the dollhouse upside down in order to add the ceiling trim to it.

I’m using stained skewers as the trim. If you're using real crown moulding, be careful with your wallpaper borders if you have any. The crown moulding is thick and will cover a portion of them if you didn’t take them into account when you applied your wallpaper. Always apply your wallpaper further down from the ceiling edge if you're using crown moulding to give the wallpaper borders some space.

Now that the third floor attic trap door is dry you can see how I can lift it up and down with the chamois hinge method.