The Orchid Dollhouse Day 2

I let the window casings dry overnight.

I put the stairs together which didn’t present any problems whatsoever since it is a pretty simple staircase. The small clamps really helped. Make sure that you dry fit and are certain about the way they will face in the dollhouse before you glue them together so you don’t end up gluing them the wrong way.

The Orchid seems to have had two versions. An older version and a newer, updated version. You can tell which one is your kit by the windows. Your box photo may show a dollhouse with a silk screened “cross” on the dormer and door windows but the actual kit will have a “flowers” silk screening for the dormers and front door.

You will also have an extra sheet which is not included in the schematics. This sheet has the top second floor staircase landing rails and hand rails. At first I didn’t know what this extra sheet was because the dollhouse photo does not include the second floor rails.

At first I was thinking of positioning the staircase to face the open back instead of the front window but then I decided not to. If I put it facing towards me, it will take up the wall on that side limiting the available space even further.

I added the first floor partition and glued it on. Make sure that you leave space for the door's interior trim.

I glued on the front roof. It fit so perfectly that I had no struggle putting it on.

I assembled the front dormer. I won't be gluing it on the dollhouse yet because I have to wallpaper it first. It will be harder to wallpaper the dormer properly if it's glued on the dollhouse.

I assembled the front door and I glued on as many parts as possible that won't interrupt the finishing of the doll houses interior.

I put a first coat of the light blue paint on the dollhouse. Afterwards, I will have to sand and apply the second coat. The first coat is more of a primer than anything else. It also helps see where all the gaps are. Seal them with spackle and smooth them out before you apply your second coat of paint.

I constructed the front porch assembly and dry fitted it to the dollhouse, just to see how it will look. I’m not going to glue the porch until much later in the assembly. I didn’t assemble the porch away from the dollhouse because then it won't fit flush against it. The dollhouse is not completely square so it's always a good idea to finish steps against the dollhouse to achieve the perfect fit later on. I painted all of the porch components.

I assembled the two small dormers as well.

I presented the door into the opening just to see how the color scheme is turning out.

I did the first coat of paint on the base of the dollhouse. I was going to put brick paper on the foundation, but since I changed my color scheme, I decided not to. I really want the dark blue at the bottom to balance the color combination.