The McKinley Dollhouse Week 27

I began installing the roof. Because of the finishes I decided to do on the dollhouse tower, the roof installation is going to be very complicated and will have to be done in segments.

I began with the easy left side first. Apply glue along the edges and install the roof following the instructions.

I am not concerned with the ugly looking, interior joints because they will be hidden with trim later. Just make sure you do not drip glue onto your wallpaper. Clamp well with masking tape, especially along the top edge.

I do not apply glue to the top edge where the roof panels meet. I only apply it to the wall edges. This is because there is always a gap at the top and if you apply glue, there is a possibility it will drip onto the wallpaper. The top edge will have roof trim glued to it later and that will suffice. In the meantime, masking tape holds the top edges together.

I continued to the right side roof. First the tower. This tower had to be finished completely, before the installation. I wallpapered it and added a wallpaper border, installed all of the ceiling and flooring trim and the back edge trim to the tower before the right side roof panel was installed.

The right side roof panel had a huge problem. The extra layers of the finished tower and tower window installation affect the fit of the roof. I had to sand down the roofs tower opening, significantly, in order to give enough leeway for the tower to fit. I also had to break off the left side of the roof in order to install it in two sections. I circled the area of the roof that had to be broken off for installation and then rejoined afterwards in the photo below. But, this was just the beginning of the modifications.

I do not want to have to lift the tower roof in order to view the tower room. I want the tower roof to be permanent because even if the roof is lifted, your visibility into the tower room is very limited. I decided to modify the tower back walls instead. I made both back walls short, so more light goes into the tower room and there is better visibility. I circled the opening that the short wall creates in the photo below.

I had to modify the eaves of the roofs that meet in the center of the dollhouse. I circled them in the photo below. These had to be shortened in order to allow for the back cover, I plan on using for this dollhouse.

Let's talk trim. This dollhouse is nowhere near the trim it needs to look finished. I have basically just begun, but you can see the amount of custom trim that the attic requires. Every joint in the attic has to be trimmed. The openings and flooring are also trimmed. I added trim to the eaves of the roof panels because they will prevent the back cover from falling inwards. The two rooms are divided with trim. I applied a custom apex trim to the interior walls for greater roof support.

I still need to apply trim to the attic ceiling joints. Once I finish installing the roofs back piece, it will have to be trimmed as well. I was able to patch the wallpaper along the chimney slot. I trimmed so much that I had to take a break and do some shingling. I shingled the left side roof panel.