The McKinley Dollhouse Week 19

Because the bathroom and kitchen sides are completely finished, I went ahead and began finishing the exterior wall on this side of the dollhouse.

I had left over siding from the Lily Dollhouse, so I decided to put it to good use and side this dollhouse.

There are certain issues that have to be worked out when you decide to side a dollhouse that doesn't come with siding. The first is deciding how much siding you want to use. I decided to also side the bottom of the kitchen bay. Then you have to make sure you have wood for trim. You will need bottom, top and side trim.

Trimming in these situations is never easy. Because the dollhouse was never designed to include siding, the kitchen bay is very close to the edge of the wall and so you will not be able to apply trim to this area. I suggest you leave it as it is and apply trim only to the top area, above the bay roof.

Because I decided to side the kitchen bay, I had to apply a trim piece along the bottom of the window sills. I applied dowels between the bay walls in order to fill in the gaps at the joints but you can use spackle instead.

Be careful with the amount of trim you use. Sometimes you can become overzealous and apply too much trim that overwhelms the look of the dollhouse. This is especially true when you side a dollhouse that wasn't meant to be. Just try to keep it simple and only when absolutely necessary.

I applied brick paper to the foundation area. After it was dry, I installed the bottom bay brackets. I used foundation trim only to the right and left sides of these brackets but not in the middle. Remember to apply the brackets first, before any trim or they won't fit.

I painted the bay roof temporarily brown for now, but it will be shingled later on.

I installed all of the exterior window pieces first and then worked on the interior. The bathroom window exterior trim was applied over the siding so when it was dry, I had to use spackle along the inside edges to hide gaps.

Once the exterior was done, I applied the window "glass" to the interior of the window openings. The most important thing to remember about these windows is to keep them straight and the silk screening should line up across all window openings.

Afterwards, I installed the interior trim on the windows. Notice that I did not use the top trim for the kitchen bay windows. The bay ceiling trim did not give enough leeway for the window tops to be installed. No problem, I am leaving the windows without it since I plan on using a valance that will hide this area.