The Loganberry Mill Dollhouse Day 2

Now that the dollhouse is dry, I removed the masking tape and I went over every joint where walls meet with wood glue. This process is very important for every build because the wood glue will seep into every nook and cranny that was missed with the tacky glue and reinforce your shell. Remember, your dollhouse is only as good as the strength of its basic structure. No matter how small or how large of a dollhouse you build, if you want it to last, you must make a strong and sturdy shell.

Make sure you turn the dollhouse upside down and on it's side to get all of the ceiling joints and vertical wall joints.

Let the dollhouse completely dry before proceeding with paint. If you don’t, your glue will not dry correctly or shift with the wet paint. Dollhouses should never be painted or finished while the glue is wet because wood warps, expands and contracts with moisture. Your paint can literally pull your walls apart if applied while the glue is still wet.

Once all of the glue is dry I went ahead and finished the dollhouse on the interior and exterior.

I first primed it with basic white paint. You can prime with any light colored paint you have laying around your dollhouse. It doesn't matter if it's latex or acrylic. Just never prime with oil based paint, it will not allow for the finishing products, like wallpaper, flooring, etc, to adhere correctly. Your prime coat does not have to be perfect. One coat is enough, don't worry about the uneven blotches, just make sure you prime everything.

Obviously do not prime any section of the dollhouse that you would like to stain. So if you're planning on staining the original wood flooring of the dollhouse, cover it while priming so it won't get painted on. I primed my floors because I plan on covering them.

I mixed some light weight spackle and white paint together and textured the entire dollhouse using that. You will have to paint over the spackle after it's dry anyways, even if it's mixed with paint. I spackled the entire outside and inside of the dollhouse and when it was dry, I re-painted the outside white and the interior a yellow color. I thought this bright yellow would go with the Spanish feel I want for the dollhouse.