The Loganberry Mill Dollhouse Day 3

Time to apply the flooring. I used a Spanish look tile flooring sheet for the first floor. It's made of paper so it was easy to apply. I didn't want to open up a tub of wallpaper paste for such a small project so I just smeared some tacky glue all over the first floor and applied the pre-cut flooring paper right over it. Use the tacky glue sparingly and evenly because you don't want to warp and wrinkle your paper.

For the upstairs I decided to use some of the wood tiles I had left from another project. I then mixed yellow and red paint, with a dab of white to create a terracotta color. I've seen these types of tiles in a lot of Spanish decor. I used a little bit of spackle for the “grout”.

I bought some plastic "wrought iron" looking pieces to make the fencing around the patio.

I also used it to create the iron storm door. I had to use my imagination and cut out pieces of the fencing to create the different pieces for the door.

Time to install the roof. I bought a plastic sheet of Spanish barrel tile for the roof. Glueing it on this arched roof was not easy. You have to use a lot of tacky glue and a lot of masking tape to clamp it down. Leave it clamped for 24 hours so it can dry or it will pull off.

I added all of the exterior trim which I stained. I used the plastic “wrought iron” fencing to create iron works for all the windows. I installed the door.

I did something a little different with the front step. Instead of putting it under the door to create the step, I decided to put it over the door to create a small porch roof. I glued barrel tiles on it. I just liked the idea of a small roof over the door for this style dollhouse.

I added side and middle beams and on the first floor ceiling and I put some beams between them.

The second floor roof was the most complicated. I had to hide the white plastic that showed from the barrel tile sheet. I went to the craft store and bought a thin brown sheet of foam. They are flexible and sturdy and one sheet is enough to cover this small ceiling. I cut the sheet to size and inserted one end on the top edge of the wall and the other on the other end. No need for glue, the wall edges hold the foam in an arch shape to cover the ceiling. The best part is that I didn't have to paint it either since the foam is already brown. I then stained and glued some beams to the foam ceiling. The side beams help hold the foam over the wall edges so it will not ever come off.

I trimmed the interior of the iron door. I also added little wooden dowels to the top of the windows and doors, both on the interior and exterior to give the house a more interesting architectural detail. I bought a square shaped piece of strip wood at the craft store to make the front step.

I cut out a piece of a spindled porch rail to make the door knob. I painted it black.

I used a leftover paper tile strip for under the first floor window. I might put a shelf underneath it when I get ready to decorate. I trimmed all of the floors with basswood strips. I used a very thin piece of strip wood and painted it black, to trim the floor edges of the patio wall since baseboards wouldn't have looked good outside.