The Glencroft Dollhouse Day 3

I began putting the beams in the next room. The beams are part of the outside brackets and you have to fit them in from the front exterior wall openings, as I explained before. Because they were previously finished, the wood expands and it will be difficult to tap them through but with some patience and force, they fall into place.

I added the back trim so the back of the beams aren't visible. The beam supports go behind the back trim.

After I had all the beams in, I began with the stucco. You won't be able to continue with the assembly until you get this part done.

I decided to use Dollhouse Stucco from Greenleaf. You just mix it in a disposable container with water or any color latex or acrylic paint, to the right consistency. Then you spread it on your dollhouse with a stiff brush, swirling it to get the texture effect. The right consistency would be to the thickness of toothpaste. You want to add your water or paint in slowly because you can always add more if needed but you can't take it out if you over do it. The runnier you make your mixture, the less texture you will achieve. The fun part about applying stucco is that it covers all gaps and defects so there is no need for spackle.

If when your stucco begins to dry you see some cracks, don’t panic. Just go over those areas again and they will be gone. They won't come back. You can also use spackling compound and then paint over it with the same paint you used for the stucco. Save some stucco in an air tight container when you're done for touch ups and any places you missed once the dollhouse was assembled. Food containers are perfect for this. Your stucco will not keep indefinitely though. If you keep it for too long, it will grow fungus.

If you do not have Dollhouse Stucco on hand, you can always use spackle, diluted with water or paint, in the same way, to create your own stucco. There are also other products in your hardware store that can be used to create stucco. Just make sure they can adhere to wood.

My wallpaper came out bubbly and warped. This wallpaper was glossy and can not breathe. This is what caused the bubbling. I might have to replace it later and just add more stucco instead.

I began working on the roof. If I can get it done today I will be able to begin the half timber trim tomorrow. Binder clips work great as dollhouse clamps. They are especially good for holding smaller, flat items laminated together, like window casings.

The instructions for the roof beam will have to be read several times to understand it. Again, there are no pictures to show anything. The roof beam is basically laminated atop of the other to form one thick beam.

I assembled the bay window and I stained the inside of all roof parts and set them to dry.

While they dried, I began working on the bead board downstairs. I’m using skinny sticks lined up one after the other to create it. I cut them right up to the bottom of the Tudor wallpaper panels. I will stain them as well.

After the roof pieces were dry, I began assembling them. They are all very easy to put on except for the curved front one. That one is frustrating because clamping it to keep it in a curved position can be difficult. Use a hammer to tap in stubborn tabs into their slots.