The Garfield Dollhouse Day 16

Since the first floor bay is done, I’m going to move on to the tower gazebo.

I bought some basic porch parts to be able to make it. I suggest you buy long porch posts. Don’t try to buy the same exact measurement as the room height because you can come up short. You don’t want to be shorter than the back walls or your turret will sit slanted. The posts have to be the exact length as the height of the back walls where the door is.

I used spackle to touch up the walls and skewers to put on the joints between them. I touched up the floor edge with spackle and paint.

Once that was done, I trimmed the floor of the gazebo with a basic trim I bought and painted it white. It has to be narrow so that it fits perfectly flush with the floor edge and does not touch the tower window tops.

I then glued on the tower top ring. Even though I don’t have all the walls of this room and will have posts instead, you need the ring because it will help you position everything straight and keep the back walls together. The turret itself will also rest on this ring when the gazebo is done.

Now the posts. I measured and cut the posts to the same length as the back walls. They have to be as high as the back wall SLOTS not the tabs. The Easy Cutter goes right through the posts.

I painted the posts white and then glued them in place. Keep in mind that even though you cut the posts exactly to the length they are suppose to be, it doesn’t mean that they will fit correctly. The floor of the gazebo can throw the measurement off a little because of a minor bump or slight slant that is not visible to the naked eye. Sand or trim the posts so they fit right and keep the ring straight. I actually eyeballed it. The reason why I decided to eyeball it rather than measuring is because the dollhouse itself is not level so measuring things out might make them look lopsided in the end.

Make sure you view the posts from all angles, not just the front. What looks straight on the front might look off on the sides. Remember it’s a three dimensional shape so you have to look at it from all directions to make sure that everything is aligned and straight.

Clamp and let dry overnight. You can not put in the railing while the glue is still wet.

I used the original back tower walls as a guide for the room height. If you decide to not use them and just make your own walls or bash the back roof height, I would suggest you still use the same height as the original dollhouse. The reason is because you don’t want to throw off the look of the dollhouse with a too high or too low tower turret. The dollhouse was designed for the tower to sit at a certain height and that’s what will look best with the roof line.

It's impossible for me to begin the porch with the tower clamped so I went ahead and put the gingerbread on the gable roofs. Remember to glue on the trim first, flush to the roof edge, and then the verge boards sit behind it. Spackle all joints to hide any gaps between the verge boards and front trim.

Now you can really see the contrast between the white trim and dark green background.

Time to begin the porch. I unclamped everything I did yesterday so I can work on it.

I installed the porch roof. Trace each panel on paper so you have templates for shingling before you begin. Again everything came together nicely. I didn’t have to go through any struggles. Hammer in tabs so they go in nicely but be careful with the tabs on the wall. You can break through your wallpaper on the other side if you try to hammer them too far in.

Use a binder clamp to keep the corner, where the two roofs meet, straight and even with each other. Clamp everything so the supports are tight against the wall and porch roof.