The Fairfield Dollhouse Revisited Week 15

After spending a lot of time on creating the second floor staircase, I am relieved to focus on something else, like completing the kitchen.

Just like with the other rooms, I wallpapered and trimmed the ceilings and floors. The inside edges of the walkway and bay wall have to be sanded, filled with spackle, sanded again and then painted.

I installed the shelves in the kitchen pantry unit. All gaps had to be filled with spackle.

This room has a door and if you want it hinged, then you will have to do some extra work.

Just like with interior bedroom doors on the second floor, I am using one inch scale hinges because hinging tab and slot doors is very difficult and tricky. The larger hinges can be very helpful and offer better support. This particular exterior door is two layers, so it is much thicker and heavier than the interior ones.

I hinged the door on the interior of the dollhouse, so it opens inwards. This is because I have a screen door that I am going to hinge to the exterior. If you do not have a screen door and are just using this kit door, I recommend you hinge it to the exterior, opening outwards. You will get a nicer finish because the interior edges will not be visible.

As I've stated before, hinging these kit doors will not give you a perfect outcome. This is just a novelty and not meant to work perfectly. Just like my second floor staircase, it's all handmade and delicate. If you value more practical function, then I recommended pre-hinged working doors. I, personally, just wanted a door that opened, so the interior of the dollhouse better could be viewed better.

This particular door had its own set of challenges. The trim that the hinge is on was crumbling and broke several times. Luckily, I was able to glue it back together, so that the door could ultimately be hinged.