The Fairfield Dollhouse Revisited Week 14

I installed the third floor and cut a hole over the staircase. I had to do this after installation because I needed to know exactly where the opening had to be made. I forgot to use the second floors staircase opening as a template for the third floor before the dollhouse was assembled. It was harder this way, but it got done.

I then primed the floor and applied the flooring paper to it. This floor is full of twists and turns and your flooring paper sheet might not be as large as the floor, so you will have to join pieces. Make sure you join the pattern seamlessly.

Once the floor was in and finished, I could cut out more template pieces from balsa wood. I cut out all of the railing. I installed the railing on the third floor.

I kind of dry fitted the roof, to make sure there would be no issues, but I really don't know for sure until I actually try to install the roof. No time to think about that possible future complication now. I'm just happy with the way the railings turned out. Again, it might not be perfect, but at least my mini people can get up to the third floor without the need to levitate.

Balsa wood is very soft and can be cut easily with a craft knife. It's perfect for making detailed cuts, like the ones required for this staircase railing. Just be careful, it's fragile, especially when wet with paint. Once dry, it can hold up pretty well for these types of non-structural components.

It took a lot of touch ups and filling in of gaps to make this staircase look flawless.

Thankfully, it's done and I can move on to complete the kitchen.