Custom Rehab Week 7

I moved on to the second floor of the dollhouse now. I had already taken the carpet up and I removed the baseboards and electrical outlets.

This floor will be done a little differently. I am going to add a partition, just like the first floor, to create a bathroom. The difference is that I will be making the partition long enough to reach the back floor edge, since entryway to the bathroom can not be an open walkway. I have to create a faux door. This is a pretty simple process. I have done it with my own dollhouses before.

Because of the door, I have to apply the templates a little differently than I did on the first floor. I have to apply all of the wallpapered wall templates first, then apply the finished partition and lastly apply the ceiling and floor templates. This application sequence has to occur in this order because I have to finish the partition wall, before I can install it.

I know where I want the partition, so I made all of the templates for the walls in the same manner as I did the first floor. I used copy paper to make the templates and then transferred them to poster board. You can see a gap in the front wall templates, where the partition will go. I installed the wallpapered templates just like I did on the first floor.

I made the partition out of foamcore, just like in the first floor. I creased copy paper around the front door and made a template. This will help me make the bathroom door the same width and height. I transferred this door template to the partition and traced it with a pencil, on the front and back. Now, I can apply the wallpaper around this traced area. This creates the illusion of a door.

You can apply wallpaper directly onto the foam core, with no need to make templates. The foam core will warp slightly and you will see some buckling in your wallpaper. Do not mess with it. Once it's installed and thoroughly dry, this will straighten out.

Once the wallpaper was dry, I added trim around the "door". I then installed the finished partition. You can see a little warp in the partition but this will be invisible once finished.

No ceiling paper or flooring has been added to this floor yet. You must do those AFTER the partition is in place.