The Coventry Cottage Dollhouse Day 7

I shingled the dollhouse and stained them in a light lilac.

I made the templates for the roofs and then hot glued the shingles to them. Your shingles might curve your template so use bottles and then clamp them with masking tape so the template lays flat against the roof.

When you're going to use non-traditional shades like this, do it with caution. After my template was shingled and it was still in its natural color, I dry fitted it on the dollhouse to see if I liked the natural color or a stain. Since I wasn’t satisfied, I went ahead and painted them in the lilac.

The raw, birch veneer shingles soak up a lot of paint so if you apply one coat of paint, you will get a stained look even if you do not mix your paint with varnish or a gel stain medium. Always paint one shingle, away from the dollhouse to see the density of your color choice before you commit the entire dollhouse to it.