The Buttercup Cottage Dollhouse Revisited Week 2

THE INTERIOR TRIM

I decided to apply lots of trim on the interior of this dollhouse. This cottage does not bring interior trim so I thought that if I trimmed out the wall corners, door, ceilings and floors it will make it look more finished. I did it all with skewers. I used skinny sticks for the bay trim only.

THE EXTERIOR TRIM

In my last dollhouse I painted some exterior trim black but this time around, I went with white. I also added some keystones to the round windows and a design to the window boxes. I used leftover punched out scraps from other dollhouses. I just wanted to have an even mix of black accents around the exterior.

THE SHINGLES

I used leftover shingles from another kit for the shingling of my last Buttercup. They were birch shingles that came in a bag and they were kind of pale and yellow in color. This time around, I used the unused shingles that came with the Storybook Cottage Dollhouse. They had a nice pattern to them and are on the orangey side. I think it would make a nice contrast with the yellow of the dollhouse. This dollhouse does not come with shingles. In the last dollhouse I left the roof bottom edge pattern exposed for decorative purposes but this time around I brought the shingles all the way down, covering that pattern.

THE CHIMNEY

I decided I didn’t want the chimney to just be black so I printed out a cobble stone print from a mini print site on my computer and covered the bottom of the chimney with it. I think it gives it a little more detail like this. I used a glue stick to glue on the paper to the chimney. Your going to want to use a light glue anytime you print from your computer to regular copy or printer paper. That type of paper is very thin and any moisture will warp, wrinkle or bubble it. It can also soak very easily through and bleed your ink, ruining your pattern. Glue sticks are your best choice because that glue does not contain much moisture.

THE ATTIC

I just want to point out the attic of this dollhouse on the second floor. I wallpapered completely up here. I used Mod Podge which I had on hand but it is always best to use mucilage or Yes Paste. Mod Podge does not give you enough time to position your wallpaper before it dries and it tends to be quite watery, which has the potential to wrinkle and/or crease your wallpaper. I wallpapered before I put the roof together. This is really the easiest and simplest way to wallpaper an attic with all of these angles and dormers.

I decided to go with black shades for the windows. I used black gingham for the window seat.

You can visit this dollhouse gallery here.