The Buttercup Cottage Dollhouse Revisited Week 1

THE WALLPAPER

I used yellow gingham and polka dot scrapbook paper for this dollhouse. Small dollhouses like this are perfect for the use of scrapbook paper, which comes in smaller sheets than miniature wallpaper does. Scrapbook paper is especially useful when you want more modern patterns or seasonal prints which are usually not available in miniature wallpaper.

THE FLOORS

I wanted to put designs on my floors but I couldn't find any stencils that I really liked or were in the right scale. I had temporary tattoos on hand so I used them on my floors. They are the kind you stick on yourself with water so I took a chance and tried them on wood. I thought it would possibly not work and they would lift up or not stick since wood is very different from skin but once I got the first one down, I realized they work just the same on this surface as they would on human skin. They do not lift, peel or flake off.

I first sanded the floor and removed all dust from it. I then stained the floor the color I wanted. I again used an acrylic paint mix to create the stain. After the floor was completely dry, I dry fitted all of the tattoo patterns the way I would want them to appear on the floor. I had to make sure I had enough of them before I began. Once I had the general pattern I wanted on the floor, I could begin applying them.

I peeled off the clear plastic from the tattoo print I wanted to use and placed it face down where I wanted it. I put water on the back with a sponge brush and waited for the paper backing to loosen. Don’t skimp on the water, apply it generously. Keep it pressed down on the surface you want it until the paper backing is loose and don’t lift it, slide off the paper backing instead. If you lift, you might lift off your design with it. The tattoos themselves are very thin and delicate and can easily break or tear. This is just like applying a decal. Once the backing has slid off, the tattoo remains and it looks just like stenciling or an inlay.

I applied gloss varnish over the entire floor. This will protect the tattoos and shine the floor.