The Brimbles Mercantile Dollhouse Day 13

Now the finalizing of the dollhouse.

I finished all of the shingling. I did not stain the shingles because I can't see a perfect hue of stain for it that will not clash with the color scheme. I actually think that the natural shingles look beautiful on it. I like the different shades each one has and together they just look perfect. Notice the shingled corners of the roof and how tightly flush they are to each other. No need for trim here.

You can hide any little gap or any shingle that was cut incorrectly around the dormers with Minwax Stainable Wood Filler. Do not use any other brand. It must be Minwax. Minwax wood filler is the exact color match to birch veneer shingles. It hides any shingle problem invisibly.

Other gaps or problems around the body of the dollhouse are easily covered with lightweight spackle, sanded and then painted over.

I had a problem with the roof fascia for some reason. The fascia from the kit was cut too short and it wasn't fitting properly around the roof so I made my own with leftover trim of the same thickness. You still have to spackle and sand the corner joints.

I finished all of the interior trim work. Make sure you also trim the back walls because if you look through the dollhouse windows, they will be visible.

I added trim on the back edges of the floors so they are smooth and straight.

I had painted the first floor ceiling white because the white matches the wallpaper well on this floor but I didn't use stucco like I did on the second floor and I began regretting it. So, I turned the dollhouse upside down and added the stucco texture in white to the first floor ceiling so it's a match with the second floor.

I painted smooth the tops of the main and porch roofs but there are a lot of things that you can do with these types of roofs. From covering them with sandpaper or tin to applying texture with paint or stucco. Remember, you can also paint sandpaper to match your color scheme.

The Brimbles dollhouse comes with shop furniture which I will be using. I am going to begin building it tomorrow.