The Garfield Dollhouse Day 9

I mentioned yesterday to make sure you go over all of your floor joints with wood glue but the dollhouse is too large to set on it's sides or upside down for you to do this easily and thoroughly. Do what you can with the dollhouse right side up and remember that the wallpaper paste is going to seep into those joints and reinforce them for you. That’s why you should always go around corners with wallpaper whenever possible. It strengthens the dollhouse. If you use a good quality wallpaper paste, you will be surprised how hard it gets when dry. It's nearly impossible to remove. If you have ever tried to remove well pasted wallpaper before, then you know what I mean.

I primed the areas I was going to wallpaper with some left over light colored paint. I wallpapered the living and dining rooms into two different colors like the staircase. As you can see each side of the staircases wallpaper pattern is facing the same wall pattern.

I left a little bit of excess hanging over the right edge because a wall will go there and I want the paper to go around the corner of it.

Notice the weird little corner in both the kitchen and guest bedroom. Again I left an overhang on the left edge because there will be a wall on this side. I can't put the wall in yet because I won't be able to access these corners anymore. I have to put the closet doors before I attempt to put the missing wall. I'll also have to put the ceiling trim and baseboards in the corners.

If you want to hinge your closet doors then you will want to wallpaper the interior of these closets as well. I’m not going to hinge them so I don't need to finish anything in there.

I put the door knobs into the closet doors. I opened up a hole first with a nail and hammer and then hammered in the knobs. I put a piece of cardboard between the knob and hammer so they wouldn’t get damaged. Make sure you put your doors side by side when you do this so that both knobs are at the same distance and height from each other. I then inserted the doors and added the trim around them. You have to sand these doors down a lot to make them fit.

After the closet doors are done, I had to add the ceiling and flooring trim to that tight little corner in the room because once the side wall goes up, there will be no way to access that area anymore. I did both the kitchen and the bedroom. Once that was done, I went ahead and glued on the Side Wall.