The Garfield Dollhouse Day 4

Now that the base of the dollhouse is dry, I can go ahead and decorate the floor. I plan on drawing clapboards on mines. You can score clapboards on your floors as well by using a box cutter or craft knife to make the lines. Do this carefully and gently because you don’t want to go through the wood or weaken the floor from the scoring. Remember this is only 1/8th" thick plywood. It is also very hard plywood so you will need muscle to score it correctly.

I’m drawing my clapboard using a pencil, straight edge ruler and a nail file to measure the widths between planks. I find nail files are great for measuring the lap width of siding and also for measuring plank widths on flooring. They work very well with this scale.

Instead of making all of the lines go in one direction on the L shaped floor, I’m making them go across on both floors by drawing one half the floor first and then the other.

Make sure to keep your lines straight. Now keep in mind that the flooring of your dollhouse will never be as straight as your straight edge so you might see your pattern kind of deviate a little as you reach the opposite wall but don’t worry about it. Once the staircases and partitions go in, this will not be noticeable like it is now. Just try to keep it as straight as possible.

To make the plank joints, I used the nail file as a length guide. I then staggered the joints throughout the floor.

I then stained the floor using my faux stain mixture of varnish and acrylic paint. I went with the same light brown I used on the Pierce Dollhouse but since both halves of the first floor were made of different wood grain, they stained differently. The dining room and kitchen are a darker wood than the living room. I love the effect but this might not be the look you're aiming for so always keep these things in mind when staining your dollhouses floors and always have an alternative flooring in case you're faced with issues.

I painted what will be the porch floor. This is just a rough painting to define the area. Don’t bother using spackle for gaps or for hiding slots because it's too early to know what will be hidden with the lattice and what won't. You will just end up wasting spackle if you try to do it now.