The Garfield Dollhouse Day 20

I have to install the windows and the railing in the attic. It wasn’t very difficult but it wasn’t easy either. Of course, it was my fault. I should have had it done before the roof went up.

There are few uglier things in dollhouse building than the back edges of the walls and floors. That’s why I trim all of mines with basswood strips.

I installed the final interior doors since I have my doorknobs. They weren’t as difficult as I thought they would be, especially the one in the stairwell. It went in quite easily with minimal sanding required.

The Living/Dining Room Partition also had some trim that had to be applied.

I made the steps for the guest bedroom and attic.

I assembled the fireplaces. I wasn’t sure at first if I would use the fireplaces that came with the dollhouse but I later decided I would. I’m not gluing them on the dollhouse permanently though. I’m just sitting them down in different areas until I figure out where they will be fit best, depending on the furniture I get. I glued brick printed paper to the fireplaces backs to make them look more realistic.

I installed the second floor bay roof and roof trim. Remember to paint your eaves before instillation and trace each piece on paper for shingling templates. This one was not as difficult to do as the kitchen bay one.

It fit perfectly and I think I discovered what caused the problem with the kitchen bay one. I believe that the schematics are mislabeled. Notice the picture of the Garfield’s kitchen bay roof trim in the schematics. The side pieces are small circles like in the bay roof trim. They don’t have the funny side pieces that make them longer. These extra wide side pieces for the kitchen bay are what make them unable to fit when the roof panels are pushed upwards. I double checked the schematics again because I thought I had made the mistake in labeling the pieces but the schematics do have the wider pieces labeled for the kitchen bay.