The Garfield Dollhouse Day 12

Now that the walls are up, it's time to paint.

I’m painting the dollhouse dark green. The flash of the camera makes the green show up with a slight grassy tint to it but it's not like that in real life. It’s a dark pine green. The photos without the flash show the true hue.

I gave the dollhouse one coat of paint and then sanded it lightly. I then covered all gaps and tabs with spackle. Make sure you don’t accidentally cover slots that are needed for the porch.

I then gave it a second coat of paint.

Any color you paint this very huge dollhouse will be overwhelming until contrast is put on it. Once, doors, windows, balconies, gingerbread and porch railings are in place, the eye can finally settle and all this green will be pushed to the background.

I inserted some windows today. You have to proceed with caution when you do this because you don’t want to close off any access you may need from certain areas by installing all the doors and windows. Give the room another look through to make sure you're really done with it before you install anything that will close it off for good.

I suggest leaving all balconies and bays open until the very end. The guest bedroom balcony is fine if it's closed off. That room has good access from the back.

I wanted to install a screen door over the kitchen door but that couldn’t be done. My screen door was way too wide for the very narrow kitchen door. If I narrowed the screen door to fit, basically the sides would have to come completely off. If I widened the kitchen door opening to make the screen door fit, the kitchen door that came with the dollhouse would be useless. It's all too complicated so I’m using the screen door for the gazebo.

First I had to take the center wall from the interior of the third floor tower. It has a small door. I was going to use that door but since I don’t need it now, I installed it back into the opening.

I’m going to make a faux door for the screen door. It needs an interior door but the attic door is way too small to fit the screen door into it. That’s why I’m leaving it in it's opening and ignoring it. I’m going to make a larger door over it.

On the exterior side of this wall I’m painting a brown square that I measured with the screen door. I painted its surrounding dark green.

On the interior side, I also marked a square with the screen door and stained it brown. I added trim all around the square with basswood strips. I then installed a doorknob.

Back to the front side, I glued the screen door over the brown square to make it seem like there’s a door behind the screen door.

I installed the regular kitchen door that came with the dollhouse in place.