The Fairfield Dollhouse Revisited Week 31

I used the turret pieces as templates and made them out of black poster board. I then discarded them.

I can get a much better mansard curve using flexible poster board than I would have using wood. Besides, the finish I am planning, for this roof, requires a precise fit as I am not going to shingle it. I need for the corner edges to fit as tightly together as possible for a clean look. The wood would not have gotten me that.

It took a lot of dry fitting, cutting and tweaking to get these roof panels to fit perfectly against each other. Poster board can be sanded down quite easily. That is the best way to make the corner edges flush with each other. I then used a little spackle along the edges.

These panels are best glued using hot melt glue, so that they lay down tighty to create the curve. They are not structural, so hot melt glue will hold them just fine.

I used jewelry beads for the top finial.

The underside of the turret is basically the ceiling of the hidden tower room. So, I painted it and applied ceiling paper on the area that will be in the interior of the room. There is no need to keep the slots. They are hidden under the paper. The turret can be place on top of the tower without the need for tabs or slots.