The Fairfield Dollhouse Revisited Week 28

Installing the roof was not an easy task and took several days.

The assembly of these dollhouses do not take finishes into consideration, so any finishes used can impact the fit of the assembly. I added siding, shingles and trim, to the exterior tower walls, and this affected the fit of the roof panels. I had to sand down the edges of the panels that went against the tower, so they fit correctly, and use a mallet to help the roof in place. I then had to repair some damage, caused to the tower finishes from the roof installation.

Installation of the roof also damaged the attic staircase landing railing, which had to be repaired as well.

Now that the roof panels are in place, you can see what my vision for the exterior attic walls is. I decided to use tudor style, half timber trim for these walls. I didn't want to lose the brackets, which are original to the dollhouse, so I installed the half timber trim between the brackets. This way I didn't have to give up either detail and kept the best of both worlds.

I created a stained glass finish for the tower room windows. I used the same technique as described in my Dollhouse Window Guide.

I used cameo jewelry pendants, as finials, for the roof apexes. I simply painted them to match the dollhouse, which makes them look like carved wood. When attaching any decorative piece, like this, if it's metal, use hot melt glue.