The Fairfield Dollhouse Revisited Week 20

I need to take a break from the interior of the dollhouse, because it's been a lot of hard work. In the meantime, I decided to focus on something else and begin working on the exterior.

I am going to add a lot of different architectural features to this dollhouse, without taking away from the original ones. Because it is going to take a lot of time, I have decided that the best course of action is to work on one wall at a time.

I added siding to the bottom portion of the wall and I plan on adding tudor trim to the top, but I have to wait to install the roof first, since I do not want to discard the original brackets. I will have to determine the spacing required to accommodate both the brackets and trim, later on.

I added corner trim to the dollhouse because it's a must when you do siding.

Just like with the McKinley, this dollhouse was not designed to be sided, so you have to be careful that the siding and corner trim do not interfere with the installation of other parts. Go slowly and do one wall at a time, rather than the whole thing at once. That way you can plan better for the installation of the roof and porch trim, etc.

I decided to leave the bay roof flat and add a widow's walk around it instead. Unfortunately, half scale building supplies are becoming rarer with each passing day, so I used decorative trim instead. It worked out pretty well.

I covered the flat bay roof with sandpaper and painted it the same color as the porch floor.

I used cardstock for the bay window inlay and painted it dark purple like the main walls. I then used thin trim to frame it.

As you can see, I added different sized trim to frame the wall around the corner trim and at the corners for depth and detail. I might add more, later, around the bay window. Using trim this way really adds more interesting architecture features to the dollhouse.