The Fairfield Dollhouse Revisited Week 8

I continued working on these two floors today. I added the doors, which I hinged.

I have spoken about this before, but it merits mentioning it again. Hinging tab and slot dollhouse doors can be very difficult and the epxtection should be one of having something with a unique detail, rather than having something with actual function.

The wood in these kits is particularly hard and miniature hinges are very small and delicate. There is also the possibility of the wood being brittle and splitting in the areas you want to apply your hinges to. In this particular kit, both circumstances turned out to be the case.

I am very thankful that I decided to use one inch scale hinges for this half inch scale dollhouse or I wouldn't have been able to hinge the doors successfully. The hallway is narrow and mostly hidden from view, so I decided to have the door open into the rooms. Hinging them this way would allow for the nicer looking side of the doors to be facing the most visible area of the dollhouse.

I also hinge the doors to the doorway trim for easier installation. Make sure that the doors are sanded down enough, so they fit the openings loosely, but always remember that once hinged, the doors will not go into the openings since the hinges and trim change the position of the door.

I applied very thin trim to the doors to create panels. I used half scale doorknobs.

The doors certainly open and close without issues but they will not close all the way, into the openings. Keep this in mind when you hinge tab and slot doors. You want them hinged for visibility into certain areas of the dollhouse, not for them to work perfectly. You would have to buy pre-hung miniature doors if you want them to be perfectly functional.