The Beacon Hill Dollhouse Revisited Week 32

Finishing The Windows

You don't want to install any of the other windows to the dollhouse at this time because you need the window openings to have access to areas that will be closed off once the windows are in place. You can still prepare your windows for installation though.

I decided to get all of my sashes done since they are the most time consuming and hardest to finish.

They have to be painted, on all sides, even the sides where the glue does. You will be able to see raw wood through the window glass if you don't finish all sides. You will not be able to fix it later.

After the first coat of paint is dry, the windows have to be sanded lightly and inspected for any areas that might have to be filled with spackle. This would include any broken areas or areas that have become delaminated and crumbly.

Then you have to give the windows a second coat of paint on all of the edges and the exterior side. This is especially true if you are using white paint for your windows.

When all of the sashes are dry and ready, you can begin sandwiching your acetate between your sashes. Use binder clips to clamp them tightly together. Remember to use your glue sparingly so it doesn't squeeze out onto your acetate when clamped. If it does, clean it up immediately with a wet towel. Make sure your window glass is free of any residue because it will be visible and not removable once dry.

These windows were another concern for me, like the gothic window was. I used a clear stained glass effect for the upper halves as I described in the beginning of this project. I was kind of hesitant as to how they turned out because the clear nail polish seemed to not have a consistent outcome. I was kind of worried but decided to not panic until the windows were assembled. Well, no need to panic because once the acetate was placed in the sashes, all inconsistencies were hidden and the windows look great. They have the frosted, hazy look I wanted for the tops which creates the illusion of stained glass.

Keep In Mind

I also inserted the windows into the doors. There is a silent debate with dollhouse builders as to whether the edges should be painted all white (the main color of the door) or left so you can see the different colors of the laminated layers. I think it's based on personal preference and I really like to see the different layers so I never paint my edges to match the main color of the door or window. That's why you can see the dark brown of the interior door along the edges. I personally really like that but you can always paint yours any color you want. There is no right or wrong way to do this.