The Beacon Hill Dollhouse Revisited Week 4

Even though I'm not blogging the step by step assembly of this dollhouse, I will still post updates of the build and this week was all about punching out parts.

Yes, the below picture is of all the parts that will become the Beacon Hill and yes, they all have to be sanded.

I prepare my kit a little differently than what you would expect and I do not recommend anyone new to dollhouse assembly to do this. I basically punched out every single part and threw it all in a pile. I did not have to label anything because I am very familiar with this kit.

Sorting

A good way to sort out similar, unlabeled parts like the rectangle pieces that will make the staircase treads and risers versus the ones that will create the chimney is to just pile them all up and then count them to match the schematics. For example if the schematics have 12 risers, then you should have 12 identical rectangles and those would be your risers. They obviously could not be your chimney parts.

Broken Pieces

I encountered some brittle wood which caused some parts to break during the punch out process. I will repair them during sanding and show you an easy way to repair any broken part. Wood can be very easily mended so never fear broken parts. No matter how careful you are, broken parts are inevitable in most cases, especially since punching out parts can not be done gently. These parts are pretty well stuck to their sheets and force is necessary.

Keep In Mind

Again, this is for experienced builders only. You do not want to be a new builder and have to face what's in the photo below.

I cut out the box photo of the dollhouse, which is many times much more helpful that the instructions.

I found an easier way to discard punched out sheets. I just neatly placed them together and held them with a plastic tie wrap.

Sanding will take just as much time as punching out parts. I have my work cut out for me.