The Willowcrest Dollhouse Revisited Week 15

Today I worked on the living room bay wall, first floor.

Siding and Windows

I sided up to the porch floor roof and then installed one of the windows. It's the same process as with the front of the dollhouse. The only difference is that this window has a window sill, unlike the front French window. It's pretty easy to install so there were no problems there. I recommend sanding the slots on the sill very well and then tapping the sill in place with a mallet.

Living Room Bay

The living room bay is very plain on this dollhouse so I had to dress it up a little. I added the stained glass ceiling to it. I just glued my finished stained glass over the opening I had created and used the dollhouse kits living room bay roof trim to frame it. I added an extra trim on the back edge, against the sided wall.

I added Victorian trim along the tops of the roof fascia. It gives it a more detailed look.

I installed the exterior bay window trim and even though there is no siding on these walls to cause a gap, I still spackled and finished their inside edges. You want to make sure there are no gaps there, no matter how small, especially when using white trim color.

I added white dowels between the windows, at the bay wall joints. This is a way to add more detail and depth to this otherwise plain bay. It also strengthen the structure and hides the gaps without the need of spackle. You want to avoid spackle in areas like these where it would be difficult to sand down smoothly. It will cake and cause the windows to loose detail.

Again, I wanted to incorporate some of the architectural details in the Morley Dollhouse so I framed the bay, under the windows with strip wood, similarly to how the Morley's front bay is framed.

I then used a stencil and spackle to create the raised designs on the inside of each framed panel, similar to the Morley's bay design.

Foundation

I decided to make my own foundation trim because the dollhouses foundation trim is very rough and uneven. It also does not meet at the corners in some areas so using your own, balsa wood strips, will create a nicer finish.

Finally I used a printed brick paper for the foundation and decided to wrap it around the bay as well. This was not my first choice of stone but it was the only one I could find. I had wanted a lighter color and a stone more similar to the Morley's foundation stone. I just couldn't find a similar enough one to print out. I had thought about buying a plastic, styrene sheet but the thought of wrapping plastic all along the bottom of this complicated foundation, turned me off from the idea. I also thought about using Paperclay but I didn't have any handy and again, the thought of working with Paperclay was not a pleasant one. It would also add extra thickness to my foundation, which wouldn't work. So, gray brick it is. In the end, I like the way it turned out and since it's thin paper, if I can ever in the future find the right stone to print, it will be easy to refinish.