The Willowcrest Dollhouse Revisited Week 22

Additional Trim

Adding additional trim to your dollhouse will give it more depth and detail. All it takes is a few pieces of inexpensive strip wood, in various sizes, found at the craft store, to give your dollhouse a lot of added architectural details.

I decided to frame this dollhouses fascias and vertical trim with strip wood. I painted this strip wood red so that it makes the blue and white pop. I also framed the bay walls in this same way.

Remember that this dollhouse was not intended to have additional trim so you must plan out your trim carefully. There might be bays and other components in the way so you will have to cut and join your additional trim accordingly.

Aside from that, I also substituted a lot of the dollhouse kits original trim, with my own. All of the vertical, corner trim was replaced with my own store bought, strip wood of the same size as the original. I also replaced all of the foundation trim with my own strip wood of the same size as the original. The reason for doing this is because the trim that comes with the dollhouse, tends to not be as smooth and even as the store bought strip wood. You get a much better, crisper, finish if you replace these, especially if they are not in the best condition. Since my Willowcrest kit is older and the dye machine did not cut through some of the wood sheets, far enough, I had a lot of very rough, uneven trim.

I added a few pieces of Victorian trim around the top roof and bay roof fascias. I also used the same trim to trim the front porch risers.

Staircase Window

I created stained glass for the staircase window, in the same way I created it for the living room bay roof.

I had seen this stained glass design in a real life Victorian home on TV so I had no pattern for it. I had to make it free hand.

Widow's Walk

I added widow's walk to the top of the porch and bay roofs. This widow's walk is made of styrene plastic so I painted it with a flat, charcoal paint so it looks more like wrought iron.

It is very difficult to work with these pieces because you have to place them evenly along your roof so the pattern is centered. When you do this, it makes the corner ends join in awkward ways so you will have to tweak, cut and make the corners appear as nice as you can. They will not be perfect and they certainly will not be the same on every roof.

The differences, are not particularly noticeable. This is just the way it is and it's nothing you did wrong. These dollhouses have unique measurements and your widow's walk pieces will have to be cut and joined to match them.

The widow's walk are glued in place using tacky glue. It works just fine with them.