Greenleaf/Corona Concepts Furniture Kits Day 2

Upholstery was easy to do. This was the only time I used hot glue. I used some fabric scraps I bought at the fabric store. Try to get them with small designs if you don’t choose solids. That way it looks more in scale. I glued the fabric to the back of the cardboard provided. I used a pen to flatten out the fabric into the glue so there’s no hard globs left. Don’t use your fingers, this glue is hot. Hot glue helps the fabric stick quickly so it doesn’t shift or loosen while positioning.

Instead of cotton balls like the instructions suggest, I used craft felt to pad my upholstery because I already had it on hand. You can definitely use cotton balls. I cut the felt to the shape of the cardboard. I used four layers for fluffiness. For the mattress I used six. I made a bedspread for the bed with the same fabric and used one felt sheet inside to give it fluffiness. I ordered some mini lace that I plan on adding around the pillows and the bedspread.

The hutch of the living room is closed, so you can't put items inside once the trim is glued on. I figured that if you don’t permanently glue on the trim with the plastic door, you can put ornaments inside later on. I plan on gluing the plastic to the trim, but I'm “gluing” the trim on with non-permanent museum wax. That way I can remove it and put things inside the hutch later, and then press it back in place when done. I can't do it until I finish staining everything.

The kitchen stove does not bring a plastic piece so that it looks like there’s glass on the oven door. I made my own by cutting off a square piece off of a plastic table cover and gluing that behind the oven door.

I placed all of the assembled pieces that I will be staining inside of this box. I have to take it outside, stain it and then let it dry inside in a well-ventilated area. You can certainly use faux stain to avoid the fumes.

Once the glue dried overnight, I stained all of the furniture and it is finally dry.

I finished the upholstery for the bed by adding the lace.

I added all of the mirrors and clock faces. I assembled the furniture that couldn’t be put together without staining first as well.

The mirrors for the furniture look very realistic. Don’t take the plastic film off of them until you're ready to glue them in place. They are plastic, so they can get easily scratched. Once they are glued on, make sure nothing rubs against them to prevent damage. I also put the painting in their frames.

You can see how the furniture looks inside of a Beacon Hill Dollhouse.

These furniture kits can also be painted. Make sure you sand edges well and use lightweight spackling compound to fill in rough areas and any gaps. This will help give you a much smoother finish. Adding decals, fabric and breads, will help individualize your furniture.