The Willowcrest Dollhouse Revisited Week 6

I've been preparing the fireplaces and the second floor staircase today.

Second Floor Staircase

The second floor staircase is very easy to do and I finished it in the same way I did the first floor staircase. Because this second floor staircase does not have any sides, you can finish your staircase in its entirety after assembly, even if you are using two tones, like me.

Fireplaces

I wanted the fireplaces, in this dollhouse, to look like they are made of ornate plaster.

I first assembled them but left off the mantels and hearths. I used spackle and a stencil to create the raised decorations all along the front trim. You just place your stencils where you want the design to go and then press spackle into them. When you flatten out the spackle and lift the stencil, you will have a raised design.

I like using a fingernail file to apply and flatten the spackle. You can also use it to clean up around your design, any spackle that might have seeped out of place. You must wait 24 hours for the spackle to completely cure before you can paint over these designs.

I used a brick printed paper to cover the backs and create the interior of the fireplaces.