The Rosedale Dollhouse Revisited Day 13

I finished the entire attic. Remember this wallpaper had to be put up in sections. I had to leave some leeway on the top and bottom for the ceiling and flooring trim. I also had to apply the top border separately. Measure your wallpaper carefully and dry fit it well because the slants of the walls will require angle cuts.

Your dollhouse will not be completely square so there might be very slight differences between the top and bottom leeways from wall to wall but they should be minute, so you will not be able to notice them.

I added the floor and ceiling trim in this room.

I did more touch ups around the exterior of the dollhouse and I applied matte varnish over the red paint. I do not usually do this but this dark paint is a magnet for fingerprints. The varnish was just a must or my customer will have to walk around with red paint every time she is near the dollhouse in order to cover up fingerprints. The varnish not only seals the paint but it also gives the dollhouse a very nice sheen on the exterior.

You can get all of the variety and brilliant color of craft paint and not give up on the look of more expensive and durable real dollhouse paint by simply applying varnish over it. Varnish comes in matte, satin and gloss. I used matte and it still gave the dollhouse a nice satin finish so you do not have to buy the more expensive satin to achieve the same look. You can certainly apply varnish to your dollhouse after it is complete because varnish is completely clear and can not be seen if it touches any components around your dollhouse.

The thing you have to remember when working with varnish is to apply a thin coat of it only. You also don't want to brush stroke it too much or it can dry white, losing its clarity. Use a brush with soft bristles and make sure they don't come off or they will dry on your varnished finish.

I filled the top roof slots with spackle and then sanded. Now this roof is ready for painting.

I used masking tape as a guide to help me paint the roof edge white and the rest light brown.

I also added the brackets to the roof. Just follow the dollhouse photo pattern. It's best to glue them on unfinished, if they are going to be the same color as the rest of the surrounding trim. That way you don't have to fumble trying to hold them straight to paint them.

Let the glue dry completely before painting them so you don't create blobs.