The Lily Dollhouse Revisited Week 36

ROOFTOP GARDEN

Creating a rooftop garden for your dollhouse takes a little planning and hopefully seeing how I did it for this Lily, will give you some ideas on creating yours.

Rooftop gardens are best on dollhouses with flat roofs. Place your dollhouse on the floor for an aerial view of your roof top.

I had already created the faux trap door on my roof, like I blogged Week 34 of this assembly and the roof was already painted a dark color.

Now I need to make a paper template of the roof using copy paper and masking tape. I am going to use this template to cut out the grass I will be using to cover the roof top. Because this is a small area you can find a grass sheet at the local craft store that will work. They are found in the diorama section. Make sure you get a big enough roll to cover the entire area at once because this product does not patch well.

Once I cut out the grass using the paper template as a guide, I place it on the roof to check the fit. You will have to continue snipping with scissors around the grass edges until the fit is perfect. Then you can apply tacky glue to the roof and spread it with a foam brush. Make sure you spread the glue thinly and evenly because too much or blobs will seep through the grass sheet and leave a stained area that can not be removed.

Once the grass is glued in place, you will need the items you want to place on your roof top. Position them the way you want them to be. This will help you design the hardscape.

Notice the corner vegetable garden that I created for the rooftop garden. This vegetable garden is actually a kit. You can find it in the diorama section of some craft stores. This kit is made by placing different tiny vegetables onto a foam base. I recommend you use a push pin to help make a starter hole for the insertion of the vegetables. The kit also comes with gravel and grass. The vegetables work well with one inch scale displays. They sell different varieties of these kits. I plan on also purchasing the flower garden kit to place on the opposite side to the vegetables garden.

In the middle is a small area that will have potted plants, garden statues and a bird bath or gazing ball. I used left over gravel from the kit the design this small area. It doesn't have to be perfect. Remember you want it to look like a real garden area would.