Thursday, January 8

Limited Edition 2015 Creatin' Contest Kit Exterior Finishing

I was able to finish the exterior of the dollhouse.

Roof
As you all know, I painted the roof a dark green because green roofs seem to be popular in Alaska. I really like the score lines on this roof so I did not use any cover for it. The lines make the roof seem like it's made out of panels, which is also a popular look in Alaska.


I used thin strip wood from the craft store to hide the nail heads on the roof. These strips give the roof more of a paneled look as well. I really love the way this roof turned out.


Remember, that I am doing a simple finish to this dollhouse but this roof has a lot of potential. You can add a skylight to it, chimney or you can even omit it all together and use clear acrylic on it instead.

Exterior Walls
I wasn't sure what I wanted to use for the exterior. As you all know, I didn't paint the walls before adding all of the trim, since I thought I was going to cover the entire wall somehow. Later on though, I changed my mind, after looking at more Alaskan cabins online. I found some pictures of this real neat wall finish where beams are placed, vertically and evenly, along the exterior walls. I decided I wanted to do that for this dollhouse.

Painting the walls, even with the windows and all of the trim in place was a piece of cake. You will have no issues if something similar happens to you. The linear design of the dollhouse really helps in not having any problems painting with components in place.


I painted all of the walls and then I applied strip wood, that can be found at the craft store, evenly spaced along the exterior walls to create the beams. I used the side windows width for the width between each beam.

Unfortunately, MDF can not be stained. I would have really wanted for the entire exterior walls, to appear stained but that can't happen. So, I painted the walls instead and stained the beams. I used the same color as the wall to make the stain for the beams, since I had wanted all of the exterior walls to be one color.

You can use faux finishing to create a stained look though, so not all is lost. All you have to is paint the MDF in a light, wood color and then use a darker hue to streak over it, lightly. This will create a "stained" and/or rustic wood look.

I was really going for more of a golden wood color but the paint didn't turn out that way once applied. It ended up being a darker hue than what I was envisioning but I still like the contrast with the dark brown and green.


The issue with the paint hue was not caused by the MDF or any of the wood on the dollhouse. I just assumed Golden Brown paint would be golden, but it just wasn't. Always remember to test your paint on a small area first, especially if you are dead set on a certain hue. I've gone through so many dollhouse assemblies that I've mellowed into being more forgiving with unexpected results. I accept the Golden Brown not being so golden.

Porch Floor
Again, MDF can not be stained, so staining the porch floor is not an option. I decided to paint it dark brown. Remember, you can always use a cover for it, like Skinny Sticks from the craft store or apply the faux staining technique I described above.


You can cover the foundation of the dollhouse with stone, small river rocks or printed paper. Just remember that river rocks are very heavy and this foundation is pretty large. It is also a very narrow foundation area and the rocks are small but still bulky.

No comments:

 

  © More Minis @ Blogspot Copyright 2007 - 2017 All Rights Reserved

Back to TOP