Today I’m building the Garfield’s carriage dollhouse. I’m using Annie’s Lobster Shack kit by Greenleaf. This building is very easy to build and makes a great addition to any dollhouse.
First put your cupola together. The instructions do not come with pictures but you can see some really good clear pictures here. Place close attention to which edges are exposed and which are glued flush together.
I changed my cupola a little. Remember the unused furniture that came with the Garfield? Well, I bashed some of those pieces to incorporate them into this little carriage dollhouse. I took the bench sides and made the front and back walls of the cupola with them so now the copula has windows. It just so happens that if you cut the bench sides in half, they are the same exact size as the cupolas front and back sides. So I assembled my cupola with the new side replacements.
While the cupola dries, I assembled the shell of the tiny dollhouse. It's real simple to do. Again place close attention to which edges are exposed and which are glued. You can see this clearly in the picture link I provided above. Clamp well and then go over all the joints with wood glue, just like if it was a big dollhouse.
I took the pantry of the Garfield Dollhouse and made a wall shelf unit for one side of this carriage house and I took other pieces from the furniture kit to make a bench on the other side. I glued everything permanently in place.
The rest of the furniture pieces, I got rid of because I won't be using them. I have other plans for the Garfield's furniture and this tiny carriage dollhouse is way too small to make use of them.
Notice that I didn’t finish anything on the interior of this little dollhouse and that’s because I decided to stain the entire interior. If your going to finish yours in another way, make sure you do it first before adding shelving and other items into the dollhouse.
While the shelves dried, I went back to work on the cupola. The roof is a little tricky. Just follow the instructions of making a cone with the four pieces using masking tape to hold them together. Then glue all the interior joints.
I then stained the interior completely and painted the outside. Paint the underside of your little dollhouse as well, since it will most likely be picked up by curious admirers to have a better look.
I stained the interior trim and then painted the exterior ones. I glued them on. I decided to glue the door handles, that came with the dollhouse, to the interior of the doors because I have other ones for the outside.
This dollhouse didn’t give any trouble at all. Even the doors went in without needing excessive sanding. I just spackled a little where there were rough edges around the joints and it was good to go.
I had two pulls that I painted black and glued to the doors. The hinges are actually printies. I took the tip of my paint brush handle, dipped it in gold paint and made the “nails” for the handles and the hinges.
While all of this dried. I went ahead and painted the insides of the two roof panels and returned to my cupola roof. This roof can be a little difficult to fit on your cupola. More likely than not, it will probably be lop sided on one side, no matter how straight you tried to put it together. Sand the bottom edges until all the corners are flush to each other and it sits as straight as possible on the cupola.
I decided to cover my cupola roof with sandpaper. I like the texture it will give it and it will also hide any imperfections. I hot glued sandpaper to the outside by simply rolling the cupola roof on it while I applied glue to each roof side. I then cut the last side flush to the joint. I then painted the sandpaper gray. It gives the cupola a nice finish for the roof.
I then made a tiny hole on the sandpaper top of the cupola and inserted a tiny finial. I got this finial by cutting off a fancy peak of some roof trim I had left over from another dollhouse. The tips of widows walk trim will also work for this. Basically any tiny peaked piece will work. I painted it white.
I added some brackets to the sides of my carriage dollhouse roof. These were the brackets that I didn't use on the Garfield Dollhouse tower because of the gazebo bash.
Then I just made templates of the roof and shingled it. I stained it the same way as I did the Garfield's roof. I applied sideways, overlapped, shingles to the top ridge of the roof.
I placed the little dollhouse on the Garfield's yard. The nice thing about L shaped dollhouses is that they have a good size of usable yard space out back without having to make the base larger. This is great when space is limited.
Browse through this dollhouses gallery here.