Photobucket has changed their terms of service and is no longer allowing 3rd party hosting. For this reason, my photos are no longer available for viewing. I am keeping the blog posts up so at least the text can be read.

I am currently in the process of migrating this blog onto Facebook. This will allow for the photos to be viewed again.

This process will take some time. I am sorry for the inconvenience.


Whether you're an experienced builder or new to the hobby, I've gathered material from all over the web to produce the most complete, tab and slot, dollhouse assembly blog you can find.
Tip: 1. Read through all of the instructions that came with your kit first. 2. Find your dollhouse in this blog by using the drop down menu below. 3. Read through the building process in its entirety before beginning your project. Happy building!

View or print the More Minis Dollhouses Project Planner PDF to help you begin your next dollhouse project!


If you find the information on this blog helpful, please consider making a donation using the secure Paypal button below. Thank you!

Dollhouse Assembly Blogs

Search This Blog

Featured Post

Custom Rehab Week 01

This upcoming project is a little different from my usual ones. This is a rehab. This custom dollhouse belongs to a neighbor and she was ...

Tuesday, April 3

The Orchid Dollhouse Day 2

I let the window casings dry over night.

I put the stairs together which didn’t present any problems whatsoever since it is a pretty simple staircase. The small clamps really helped. Make sure that you dry fit and are certain about the way they will face in the dollhouse before you glue them together so you don’t end up gluing them the wrong way.

The Orchid seems to have had two versions. An older version and a newer, updated version. You can tell which one is your kit by the windows. Your box photo may show a dollhouse with a silk screened “cross” on the dormer and door windows but the actual kit will have a “flowers” silk screening for the dormers and front door.

You will also have an extra sheet which is not included in the schematics. This sheet has the top second floor staircase landing rails and hand rails. At first I didn’t know what this extra sheet was because the dollhouse photo does not include the second floor rails.

At first I was thinking of positioning the staircase to face the open back instead of the front window but then I decided not to. If I put it facing towards me, it will take up the wall on that side limiting the available space even further.

I added the first floor partition and glued it on. Make sure that you leave space for the door's interior trim.

I glued on the front roof. It fit so perfectly that I had no struggle putting it on.

I assembled the front dormer. I won't be gluing it on the dollhouse yet because I have to wallpaper it first. It will be harder to wallpaper the dormer properly if it's glued on the dollhouse.

I assembled the front door and I glued on as many parts as possible that won't interrupt the finishing of the dollhouses interior.

I put a first coat of the light blue paint on the dollhouse. Afterwards, I will have to sand and apply the second coat. The first coat is more of a primer than anything else. It also helps see where all the gaps are. Seal them with spackle and smooth them out before you apply your second coat of paint.

I constructed the front porch assembly and dry fitted it to the dollhouse, just to see how it will look. I’m not going to glue the porch until much later in the assembly. I didn’t assemble the porch away from the dollhouse because then it won't fit flush against it. The dollhouse is not completely square so it's always a good idea to finish steps against the dollhouse to achieve the perfect fit later on. I painted all of the porch components.

I assembled the two small dormers as well.

I presented the door into the opening just to see how the color scheme is turning out.

I did the first coat of paint on the base of the dollhouse. I was going to put brick paper on the foundation, but since I changed my color scheme, I decided not to. I really want the dark blue at the bottom to balance the color combination.


Megan said...

Thank you for posting such a helpful blog. My daughters and I have just started on our first dollhouse, the Orchid. We were going to start with the Beacon Hill but after reading a few blogs we decided to start with something a bit smaller. We assembled the shell but now that we began to look at the stairs I realize we have the stairs on the same side of the house as the bay window so they will block that pretty window. Ouch! I did a pretty good job with the wood glue and now I can't seem to get the shell apart. Do you have any suggestions? We are thinking of just leaving the stairs out since we see many houses on pintrest without stairs.

Gina said...

You can certainly leave the stairs out since it will allow for more interior space in the dollhouse, especially on such a small dollhouse like the Orchid. The Orchid really does not have a staircase that would be considered a focal point so it would not be missed if you left it out. On the other hand, if you really want that staircase for a little realism, if nothing else, you can try and wet all of the glued joints to try and soften the wood glue. Use a hair dryer at the same time, for a little heat, to see if the wood swells and softens enough so you can pry something into the joints and dismantle the dollhouse. Be gentle. Sometimes trying to fix something will cause more harm than good so do it slowly and see how much its willing to cooperate. Do not be scared, it's just wood and can be easily fixed if any minor damage occurs. It won't hurt to try.


Search Archive

Search Labels

Copyright and Disclaimer

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

  © More Minis @ Blogspot Copyright 2007 - 2017 All Rights Reserved

Back to TOP